We will hold our LDS Earth Stewardship Planning Meeting for 2012 on Thursday, January 12 at 8:00-9:15 p.m. Mountain Standard Time. In an effort to be inclusive of our members outside of Utah and to reduce carbon emissions, we’ll hold our meeting over the Internet using free conference call software known as Skype (more directions on how to download/use the software in a moment).
What will happen at this meeting?
In this meeting, we will discuss the following topics:
- What activities will LDS Earth Stewardship sponsor in 2012? How often should we hold activities and where will they be held? What kinds of activities should we sponsor (e.g. firesides, lectures, conferences, film screenings, service projects, retreats, etc.)? Do we want to hold any activities outside of Utah or is it still too early for that? Are there any other initiatives that we want to spearhead?
- What is the future of the LDS Earth Stewardship organization? Do we want to become a non-profit organization or do we want to become a branch of an existing organization with similar purposes such as Interfaith Power and Light? Should we develop a formal leadership structure (such as President, Treasurer, a board of directors, etc.)? Do we need to make any revisions to our current mission statement? Do we need to develop by-laws?
- How can we grow our membership and “get the word out” about our organization? Who is our target audience and how can we attract them to our organization? How can we attract positive attention from the media? How can we drive more traffic to our blog and/or Facebook group?
Who should attend this meeting?
Anyone who is interested in getting involved with LDS Stewardship is invited to attend. If you have an idea for an activity or if you want to help organize an activity, you’re welcome to come. If you are passionate about earth stewardship and you want to help out at a leadership level, please join. We need all the help we can get!
What do I need to do in order to join the meeting on Skype?
What you’ll need:
- A computer (any operating system is fine) or another Skype-ready devices. High-end Apple products such as iPads, iPhones and iPod Touches can use Skype. Android phones can also use Skype. Make sure you have a microphone if you are using a computer and that your system meets these requirements. NOTE: A webcam is not necessary.
- Download Skype software (or app) to your device. On the Skype home page, click on “Get Skype” and select the appropriate device from the list for further instructions. NOTE: You’ll probably want to test the software on your computer after it is set up. The instructions are on the download page.
- If you haven’t done so already, set up a Skype user account by clicking on the “Join Skype” button in the top right corner of the Skype home page.
- Some time before January 12, make sure you add “lds-earth-stewardship” as a contact. In your contact request, just indicate that you want to be part of the LDS Earth Stewardship conference call on January 12 so that we remember to add you to the call. You can do this at any time between now and the 12th. If there are any problems adding this account, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. This will act like an RSVP to the call, so the sooner you do this, the better.
- On January 12, this is how the process will work: Skype Conference Calling. We will add you to the call if you have requested us as a friend.
Feel free to leave a comment on this blog entry or contact me at email@example.com if you are confused in any way. Hope to see you there!